Habit # 6 Synergize
Habit 6 – Synergize
“Synergy is better than my way or your way. It’s our way.”
Synergy says that the whole is greater than the sum of the components. It is a bit like saying 1 + 1 equals 3 or more. Examples of synergizing:
- When you have 2 plants in nature growing next to each other and their roots intertwine to make a stronger plant. In essence the two plants are working together to become one stronger plant
- When a man and woman come together and make a bond (for example marriage). Their force as a couple is stronger than when they are alone
- When two firm merge in business because together they can get a higher profitability than either could achieve on their own.
From the perspective of the book 7 habits synergizing is when you have effective cooperation. Effective persons person use their skill form the first 5 habits to synergize. To achieve a better solution than your way or my way.
Now how do you synergize?
- Well first of all you need to be proactive
- Authentic when listening to other persons
- You need to be open (Think win/Win)
- Can’t be judgemental
- Aware of negative synergy (to avoid)
- Negative synergy is when you are too eager to please and people think “What’s in It for them” losing the authentic touch
- You value and embrace the differences between you and the other person(s)
This post is a summary of habit 6 of the book 7 habits of highly effective people by Stephen Covey. I made this summaries to help myself finish the book.
See the other posts
Habit 1 – Be proactive
Habit 2 – Keep The End in mind
Habit 3 – Put First Things First